English Language and Literature
Mdm Amalina Samad
Mdm Amalina Samad
Mr Kervin Tang [Senior Teacher] Mr Jeffrey Yoong Mdm Martini Rahmat Mdm Annizell Cruz Chan Ms Audrey Chua Ms Rahimah Rahman Mr Charles Wong Ms Ginny Chua Mr Jeremy Khoo Ms Nanthini Amathalingam Mdm Povanneswary Krishnan Mr Darryl Lim Ms Jenny Margaret Thomas Mdm Louwena Lau [Flexi Adjunct]
Mr Kervin Tang [Senior Teacher]
Mr Jeffrey Yoong
Mdm Martini Rahmat
Mdm Annizell Cruz Chan
Ms Audrey Chua
Ms Rahimah Rahman
Mr Charles Wong
Ms Ginny Chua
Mr Jeremy Khoo
Ms Nanthini Amathalingam
Mdm Povanneswary Krishnan
Mr Darryl Lim
Ms Jenny Margaret Thomas
Mdm Louwena Lau [Flexi Adjunct]
- Highly proficient in the use of English Language
- Confident and articulate speakers
- Avid and discerning readers
- Meticulous and creative writers
Programmes and Activities
1. Academic Programmes
- Applied Learning Programme
- Public Speaking
- Reading Programme
- Enrichment Programmes
- Orator’s Trophy
- UNSW Writing Assessment
- National Public Speaking Competition
- National Schools Literature Festival
3. ICT in Teaching and Learning
- Multimedia Project Work
- Podcasts / Vodcasts
- Online forums
- Online tests
- E-Learning Day
- Reading Programme: READ@HS
- E-Learning (Sec 1 to 5)
- Green Week Observation (Sec 1 to 5)
- English Diagnostic Assessment (Sec 1 to 5)
- Mastery Learning Programme (Sec 1 to 5)
- Extended Curriculum (Sec 1 to 5)
- Bridging Programme (Sec 5N)
New EL Portal
HS Rhapsody 2017
Orator’s Trophy 2017
Our Hougeans, Rafael (4E1) and Tieffany (2E3) performed their best in the preliminary rounds and advanced as far as the semi-finals in their respective categories in this competition organised by ACJC in Term 1. We congratulate the students for putting up a good fight.
Literature Learning Journey to Theatrical Production (PRISM)
The 3E and 4E Literature students attended a play ‘PRISM’ on 1 March at the Drama Centre Theatre. PRISM is a thought-provoking play that highlights the importance of treasuring our nation’s heritage and culture.
EL Workshops for 4E5N and 4N classes
- Workshop on Developing Critical Thinking and Linguistic Skills for English Language Paper 2 for 4E5N student.
- Workshop on Building Oral Communication and Critical Thinking Skills in English Language Paper 4 for 4N students.
Workshops for Secondary 1E, 1NA & 1NT classes
For the Mid-Year Post-Examination Programme, all Secondary One students were put through a series of workshops as part of their Applied Learning Programme:
Secondary 1 NT – Claymation workshop
Off Centre - A Two-Session Workshop
The first session of the "Off Centre" workshops, conducted by Haresh Sharma was held on 16 May 2017 at the SRC. Students from Class 3E3 participated in this workshop and benefited from the rich insights shared by Mr Sharma. The second session will be end in the last week of Term 3.
National Schools Literature Festival on 15 July 2017
The department is proud to announce that our Hougeans performed well at the Festival held at St Anthony's Canossian Secondary School, winning three debates and coming in as runners-up in the Choral Speaking category.
The Literature students from 4E3 won the debate against Dunman
High Year 3, to clinch the winners’ trophy.
The Literature students from 2E clinched the runners-up trophy for their Choral Speaking event.
Literature Play for 1E, 1NA, 2E students on 5 July 2017
The department sent 185 students from 1E, 1NA and 2E to watch a play entitled ‘The Car’ at the Esplanade.