English Language, Literature and Elements of Business Skills
Mdm S Chitradevi
Subject Head EL/Literature:
Mdm Amalina Samad
Ms Audrey Chua
Mr Kervin Tang [Senior Teacher]
Mr Jeffrey Yoong
Mdm Martini Rahmat
Miss Madeleine Tan
Mdm Annizell Cruz Chan
Ms Rahimah Rahman
Mr Charles Wong
Ms Ginny Chua
Mr Jeremy Khoo
Mdm Povanneswary Krishnan
Mr Darryl Lim
Ms Jenny Margaret Thomas
Mdm Louwena Lau [Flexi Adjunct]
- Highly proficient in the use of English Language
- Confident and articulate speakers
- Avid and discerning readers
- Meticulous and creative writers
Programmes and Activities
1. Academic Programmes
- Applied Learning Programme
- Reading Programme
- GRIT Moment Sharing
- Enrichment Programmes
- Learning Journeys
- EBS Work Experience Programme
- Orator’s Trophy
- UNSW Writing Assessment
- National Public Speaking Competition
- National Schools Literature Festival
- International Science Drama Competition
3. ICT in Teaching and Learning
- Multimedia Project Work
- Podcasts / Vodcasts
- Online forums
- Online tests
- E-Learning Day
- Reading Programme: READ@HS
- E-Learning (Sec 1 to 5)
- Green Week Observation (Sec 1 to 5)
- English Diagnostic Assessment (Sec 1 to 5)
- Mastery Learning Programme (Sec 1 to 5)
- Extended Curriculum (Sec 1 to 5)
- Bridging Programme (Sec 5N)
EBS Learning Journey (2018)
The 3NT and 4NT EBS students attended a Learning Journey to Fullerton Hotel on 19 Jan 2018 to learn about the hotel’s operations and apply what they have learnt in school.
English Literature Learning Journeys 2018
The 4E Literature students went on two Learning Journeys to:
1) NAFA to
watch a play entitled ‘Forked’ as part of the M1 Singapore Fringe
Festival on 26 January 2018.
2) The Esplanade Theatre to watch a play entitled ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time’ on 31 March 2018.
The 3E Literature students went on a Drama Appreciation Learning Journey to the University Cultural Centre to watch a play entitled ‘Hana’.
Orator’s Trophy 2018
Our Hougeans, Luvay (3E1) and Xavier (2E1), did their best to reach the Preliminary Rounds of the competition organised by ACJC on 24 February 2018.
Speak Good English Series at HS
The English Department embarked on the Speak Good English Series to bring authentic examples of spoken and written language faux pas, with the intent of promoting good English among our staff and students.
4E5N Inter-class Debate Challenge 2018
On 18 May 2018, the Secondary 4 Express and 5 Normal Academic classes observed the finals of the intensive two-week competition in the hall. 4E1 emerged as Champions, with 4E3 as first runners-up, and 4E2 and 5A1 as joint second runners-up.
International Drama Science Competition 2018
The English Language Department and PE/CCA Department collaborated to participate in the competition. Our students worked hard and emerged runners-up in the Open Category.
National Schools Literature Festival 2018
Our students participated in the festival.
- Our Secondary One students came in second runners-up in the Book Trailers category
- Our Secondary Two students came in second runners-up in the Choral Speaking category
- Our Secondary Three debaters put up a good fight in the Unseen Poetry category.
- Our Secondary Four debaters put up a good fight in the Set Prose category.
Work Experience Programme (WEP)
6 students from 3NT and 4NT took part in the Work Experience Programme (WEP) at the Fullerton Hotel in June and September 2018.
National Public Speaking Competition 2018
12 students indicated interest in the National Public Speaking Competition (NPSC) 2018. 10 of them were shortlisted and took part as student contestants in the Qualifying Rounds of NPSC.
Tieffany Freya of 3E4 made it to the Grand Finals on 22 Oct. She emerged 17th in Singapore.
Right Things 2018
Literature Learning Journey to Theatrical Production (PRISM)
The 3E and 4E Literature students attended a play ‘PRISM’ on 1 March at the Drama Centre Theatre. PRISM is a thought-provoking play that highlights the importance of treasuring our nation’s heritage and culture.
EL Workshops for 4E5N and 4N classes
- Workshop on Developing Critical Thinking and Linguistic Skills for English Language Paper 2 for 4E5N student.
- Workshop on Building Oral Communication and Critical Thinking Skills in English Language Paper 4 for 4N students.
Workshops for Secondary 1E, 1NA & 1NT classes
For the Mid-Year Post-Examination Programme, all Secondary One students were put through a series of workshops as part of their Applied Learning Programme: